Major/Second Concentration

In today’s rapidly changing professional landscape, employers and many graduate schools seek employees with multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary expertise.  To that end, all students must attain a major as well as a second concentration. This second concentration can be met through completion of any of the following:

Students enrolled in NCAS or UC may complete their second concentration in any of the colleges of Rutgers–Newark. Students enrolled in the School of Criminal Justice, or the School of Public Affairs and Administration must complete their second concentration in NCAS

Major Advising

As an NCAS or UC student, you have an advisor in our office as well as in your major/second concentration. If you require advising specific to your major/second concentration, you must contact that department directly.

Click here for a list of academic departments

Declaring or Changing a Major/Second Concentration

In order to declare a major/second concentration you must:

  • Have earned 24 credits
  • Have completed the Basic Writing Skills and Qualitative Reasoning Core requirements
  • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.0
  • Complete a declaration form & obtain department signature

Students are required to declare a major and minor by the time they earn 60 credits